Friday, February 16, 2007

declassification

My goal here is to write up thoughts I've had and stories I've told myself. Sometimes I've been inspired by posts on other blogs.

So here's my first post, inspired by a comment to this post on the Mother Jones blog.

The original comment: So the CIA confirmed that the Valerie Plame info was classified? How does this correlate with the VP saying the info was declassified?

My riff: That's a no-brainer. You don't need to be a Cheney to understand. The declassification was itself classified, and only revealed on a need-to-know basis. The CIA didn't need to know.

At the time Libby talked to the grand jury, the declassification was still classified, so he had to cover it up.

Since then, Cheney has declassified the declassification, so that Libby can be the fall man.

Deacon's assessment of my riff: Gary - You've been reading Vonnegut again, haven't you?

And my riposte: Well, it's a better defense than Libby's lawyers presented. And who knows, in this White House it could easily be the truth.

No comments: